Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bye, Ray


I remember feeling lousy when GP was traded. Though he'd been in Seattle for 13 years and his skills were on the downward slide, I loved the dude. His bad ass attitude, will to win and ugly ass jumper from the left baseline were all things I missed when Gary was traded. However, once Ray Allen came to town and I came to watch his game, Gary was soon forgotten.

Even though the Sonics have been mired in mediocrity (or badness, take your pick) the past several years, I have been watching them (in Fast Forward, on Tivo). Even when the Supes got their asses handed to them, I would watch them. With Ray, you never knew. He might get on a hot streak and go nuts and carry the Supes to victory. More often than not, though, it would end in a loss. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed watching Ray just eat the opposing guards for lunch, popping jumpers off multiple screens, or darting past them to the hoop for a soft finish. Add in the maturation (finally!) of Rashard Lewis and seasoning of Nick Collison last season and, though it was frustrating, you could see progress. Then, a few weeks ago, when the Sonics got second pick in the draft, well, even without a coach, things were looking nice.

So, as I waited for today, though I know next to nothing about Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, I was leaning towards the latter as this lame-duck team could use some superstar power RIGHT NOW. I logged onto ESPN.com this afternoon and sat Oden go first. There was some drama as my internet didn't show Durant for a few seconds after the 5:00 time limit, but then, poof! There he was. So we got who I wanted. Then it was fact finding time.

I'd heard on the radio last night that the Sonics were shopping Ray to Boston. At that time, though, it was speculation. This morning's papers didn't say anything about it. However, after Durant was drafted, I saw articles in the Times and PI as well as a blurb on ESPN. On the drive home, it still wasn't confirmed until Clay Bennett got on the radio and said he appreciated Ray Allen for blah, blah, blah. When I found out that they traded Ray for yet another small forward in Georgetown's Jeff Green (boring basketball name), a guard and Wally Szcerbiak, well, I wasn't too enthused. After all, Durant and Lewis are both small forwards as well.

So, what could this mean? Will the Supes be shipping Lewis out of town? He becomes a free agent on 7/1 and can sign with any team he wants, though we get last offer and can match any bid he gets. So, if we sign him, he gets big bux and that eats up some salary space for other players. Or, if we let him go, that frees up big bux to get another stud. Or, we sign him and trade him for a proven point guard? Who knows?

Whatever happens will be interesting, that's for sure.