Thursday, September 10, 2026

Silver bass post practice report

Before heading to rehearsal tonight, I played the IS bass a little. Yesterday, after I took it apart and put it back together, I plugged in and found that the input jack was a little weird. The signal was super low, despite it playing fine earlier in the night. I fussed around with it and it seemed fine.

When I tried it again tonight, it did it again. I had to crank both my Ashdown and Orange amps to hear it, which wasn't right. I tried a different cable and got the same result. It wasn't until I jiggled the 1/4" end that I heard the full signal.

I had dinner in the stove so I took my e-screwdriver (what a delight to have) and undid 13 screws in no time at all. I redid the washer and nut for the jack, moving the textured washer underneath the pickguard (I didn't clock where that went yesterday when I put it back together). After that, I put it back together and tried and it was fine. All fixed, I guess.

I ended up taking Goldie as a backup in case the jack fritzed out at practice. (dinner was fine, btw: Costco black cod in the oven)

Rehearsal was fine. Robb was a little tired and it showed in his playing; I think his brain was fried (he said so himself). We were all super loud, but none of that mattered because the new P sounded very good. It seemed to ring clear and true, and I really liked that. The intonation may be a little wonky, some notes sounded a little pitchy at times, so I'll check that out before the show.

As I thought, it was a little neck divey, but while I'm playing, it doesn't matter. It's when I'm not playing, but it's easy enough to put a hand on it to keep it steady.

I may have to pick up a new strap for it this weekend, will hit up Guitar Center or something. I don't like the b/w Fender strap I got with the MIM P a few years ago.

Overall, the bass was great and I will be excited to play it at the Embers show on Saturday. Maybe I'll switch out the pick guard for the black one... who knows??