Wednesday, September 02, 2026

The waiting is definitely the hardest part

I have been a bad boy again. With a few gigs under my belt and about $800 in fun funds as a result... I've been looking at basses again.

I was keeping it chill, though. Mainly looking at getting a "true" LB-100, with a matching body and neck, not a mongrel like the one I got in January (though it is a killer bass!). I was thinking of that to justify getting another bass. Keeping it on the cheaper side, looking at the Tributes, with an Olympic White/maple neck in my sights, free shipping, for $439, which was the cheapest one I could find.

I would've preferred the rosewood neck, but those are long gone and this is what's out there.

Then on Saturday night, I was scrolling around eBay and happened across this guy who was selling a Fender American Standard P bass, in what I thought was also Oly White, but with crappy pictures.

Could this be Oly White with terrible white balance?
I took closer looks at the photos and fired off a message to the seller about it after asking Copilot a bunch of questions. The bass is from 1997 and looked to be in fantastic shape. Seller had great feedback over something like 4000 transactions. All the case candy was there, original case, and the best part? Priced at $950. Searching on Reverb and Copilot, it seems any American Standards were going for $1300-1500 or so. This guy wanted $950 + $30 for shipping.

I was prepared late Saturday to make an offer of $900 and see what he'd say, but I wanted to sleep on it, so I did.

Come Sunday morning, I saw someone else had made an offer and after thinking about making a $925 offer, then making said offer, I said f-it and hit the Buy it Now button. This was after he said it was actually a silver-colored bass, which meant it was Inca Silver, a color offered by Fender at the time, which also made the bass an even better deal!

YOLO baby!

I waited until Monday night to ask for a tracking number as I didn't get one. Apparently the seller had to go get a burly box to put the bass and case into. It shipped out Tuesday morning and it's estimated to come in Tuesday next week. That will give me two rehearsals with the Embers crew before our big 9/12 reunion show at the Sunset.

Can't wait!