Monday, April 20, 2015

Happy Birthday, Haley!

Apparently tomorrow is Haley's birthday. She is getting quite the haul, it seems. Take a look.


Not bad, if you ask me.

A few weeks ago she had a bit of a fit. We were asking her what she wanted to do for her birthday and she didn't know. She does know that money is always tight and she was being considerate of that, but, in her own sullen way, she said, "we don't have to do anything, it's not that big a deal." Which, when a tween says that, it really means, "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, BUT I'LL NEVER LET YOU KNOW THAT I WANT TO DO SOMETHING."

I know. I was the same way.

Anyhow, we told her if she really didn't want to do anything, she didn't have to. We want her to be able to make her decisions. Then she said she wanted to do something, but didn't know what. We went back and forth and she lost her marbles. Which led to her screaming that she wanted to turn 11, not 13.

Ah.

Though we cannot stop the hands of time, Haley would love to do that. She's been doing stuff in school to put the idea of college in her mind. She took sex ed last year. Her friends are all maturing and it's just a weird place for her. She's still a skinny mini and is not ready to grow up yet. So, that's why I think she freaked out.

But since then, I think she's embraced the idea of being 13. Or, at least turning 13.

She mentioned her girlfriends have been talking about decorating her locker. And I think she's gonna have a great time at school. We have all the gifts for her tomorrow morning. And this weekend, she has something like 10 friends coming to the house for a party.

She's gotten really good at managing her time. Her classes give her a ton of homework and there's nights she's up to past 10pm finishing up. It used to be that she had to be in bed by 9 or she had a horrible time functioning. Heck, I still like her to be in bed by then, but that simply doesn't happen anymore.

Most nights, she's in bed by 10, but the cool thing is, she's starting to know what that feels like and she knows what to expect. Instead of fighting being tired, she acknowledges it and deals with it.

I guess you could say she is maturing. She still gets mad if I ask her about boys. Like really mad. Sometimes she gets mad if I make a comment about her clothes. And not mean comments, nothing like that. But she is just an awesome girl and I'm super proud of the person she is.

Haley is funny, sweet, caring, thoughtful, nice, silly, compassionate, fun, and so much more. She is so much her mother's daughter at times, it's not even funny. Almost always, that's a good thing. Every once in a while (decision making, anyone?), it can be trying.

I guess this is just a rambling post about my daughter. I am so in love with her, it's silly. She really is the best. See the video a few posts down and you'll get it. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures.