Sunday, July 03, 2016

Selling the GTI

For a while now, I've had this GTI that I recently wrote about. The plan was to keep it for Hay when she turned 16.

Well, we just leased a Mazda CX-5 for our big car and now we have the GTI and the Hyundai Elantra GT (for the next month, anyway). We were gonna turn in the Hyundai unless we could come up with a way to get another car for cheap. But likely, we were gonna keep the GTI, warts and all.

Marci started thinking about things and felt uncomfortable about letting Haley drive the GTI even though it was 2 years down the road. For me, the GTI is fine. I get all the quirks and know how to handle them. It has never not gotten me to where I need to go. But for a first time driver, as well as a first time stick driver, Marci thought it wouldn't be great for Haley.

So we started thinking about what to do. Enter the 4th of July ads for Hyundai of Kirkland. They showed a 2016 Elantra GT, with $1499 down and a $99/month payment! Sure, we'd be leasing 2 cars and owning none, but from a monthly financial perspective, it would work out for us. Trouble is, we don't have the down payment.

Unless...

I put the GTI up on Craigslist this morning right before 11am. I listed it at $2599. At about 11:10, I received 2 phone calls. One guy asked about it, then wanted to talk to his son. The next guy asked a few questions and basically said he wanted it. He was nearby and got to the house by noon. We took it for a drive around the neighborhood and he was sold. He drove up in a MKIV Jetta (same vintage as the GTI) and was a self-proclaimed VW guy, so that made me feel good too. He offered to buy the car right then and there.

I was pretty excited and started getting everything together, including what I thought was the title. But it wasn't. We looked around and couldn't find it. This guy, Daniel, said he still wanted it but we needed the title, so he left while Marci and I tore the house apart looking for it.

Needless to say, we never found it, so we filled out a lost title affidavit, which, once notarized, acts as as a temporary title. But we had to find a notary that was open/would work on a Sunday. We were able to find a local woman who did it, so we went over to her place tonight and had the affidavit notarized.

I've contacted Daniel in the meantime, let him know I'm ready for him, and... he's gone radio silent. Texts, phone calls, etc. I'm not ready to write him off yet; he seemed like a solid guy, had cash in hand this morning, but now I'm wondering if he found something else. He said he'd been looking for a car but was always the last caller. Today, he was the second caller.

I did take the GTI for a quick goodbye drive to get gas today. I stomped on it getting on the freeway and then took it on some twistys on the way back home. This is such a fun car to drive! But now I'm starting to feel like it's time. Sort of depends on Daniel, I guess.