Monday, August 01, 2016

The Jetta: one week later

I think this new car is a hit. I feel like my favorite part of my day is when I get in the car to go to work, or when I get in the car to go home. I am looking for a new radio online, maybe one that can do navigation, but the OEM one is upwards of $1500.

NO THANKS.

There are some OEM looking radios on eBay and the like, and have bluetooth, but they don't offer satellite radio. Now that I have my free XM, I'm loathe to not have it. However, if and when the previous owner cancels her sub for me, maybe I'll look into it. The cracks on the radio knobs are annoying me.

I keep forgetting to bring a Sharpie with me to see about "painting" the window buttons and the bezel around the shifter. Apparently you can replace the MKV shifter bezel with one from a MKVI. Hmm.

Everything seems to be running great. Mileage is excellent so far. Power is strong, especially when in Sport mode. In reading VWVortex.com, I found something about an inaccurate speedometer on the MKVs, so I tested mine today. GPS app on phone, drove 60 on the car and the phone indicated about 56-57mph. I've been feeling like I've been driving fast in the GLI, like 75 or more, only to be passed by everyone else.

Evidently it's a known thing, called a speed buffer, that VW did to their cars. I guess there's a hack on the climate system that will show me the true sped reading. I'll mess with that tomorrow.

I just love this car. I love how it sparkles in the sun. I love how the flat bottom steering wheel feels in my hands. I am gonna look into getting the LILDRGN plates back on it tomorrow, with a visit to the DOL.

In the meantime, here's a picture.


I'm hoping to get the windows tinted, fix the cosmetics inside (window switches, shifter bezel, radio buttons) and maybe upgrade the radio. That's about it. We'll see how it goes.