Tuesday, February 28, 2006

6 degrees of blah blah blah

The other day I was driving around and heard this song. Uptempo, INYOURFACE guitars, ballsy riffs and a nice, sneering female vocal to round things out. I couldn't place it; had never heard the song before. But I felt like I had to know who it was. Even called the radio station to ask, but I didn't have the number right.

So after the song was over, Mr. DJ said it was a song by a band called Damone. I busted out the ol' Palm and scribbled down the name for reference.

That night, I looked 'em up on the web and found that song again, called "Out Here All Night". What a great song! I found their myspace site and read up on them a bit. Saw the singer's name is Noelle and they're from Boston, MA.

The next day I had that band on my mind. I went into Julie's office (a gal I work with) and asked her about Damone, if she'd heard of them, since she's from Boston as well. She said no, but then asked if the singer's name was Noelle.

????

I said yeah, and she asked if her last name was LeBlanc. I wasn't sure, so I looked her up. Sure enough, that's her name. Well, it turns out that Julie is related to Noelle. It's a weird relation with half-sisters and stuff like that, but, in talking to Julie, it was pretty evident that though they're not tight, they are related.

Pretty cool.

And, from the music I've heard from Damone on the web, I have to say that I am very impressed and like it a lot. Kind of like the Donnas, but with some musical chops. Noelle's got a bit of a Juliana Hatfield vibe going on. In fact, think Jules fronting Weezer and you have an idea.

I am digging this band. The last band I fell hard for like this was the almighty Muse.

www.damone.net

Check 'em out. They may not be for everyone, but I am enjoying it.