Thursday, December 01, 2005

Tuesday at the Croc or Weekday Gigs Suck

A few weeks ago we got word that the Croc wanted us to play there. I was pretty excited. The Croc, to me, is probably the place to play in Seattle if you're in a rock band. I'd played there before, but never again since. I'd seen a few shows there (both for Juliana Hatfield), and have always wanted to get back in. So, when Pete at the Croc asked us to play, I jumped at the chance.

Tuesday rolls around and, to be honest, I wasn't expecting many people to come out. It was a Tuesday, after all, and, to top things off, all the weathermen were talking about the possibility of that night being SNOWBLAST 2005!!!!!! If it snowed, forget anyone coming out.

I got there first and loaded in. There was an alterna-chick at the sound board taking direction from this older guy in Dockers, maroon button-down and tan sport jacket. He had trendy, rimless glasses and was clucking into the mics, checking their levels.

As I set up my gear, I asked the guy if he was the same guy who'd been running sound at the Croc for 100 years. He said yes, and went into what seemed to be a rehearsed spiel. He whipped out his driver's license and showed me the picture. What I remembered of the soundguy (named Jim) was someone who looked like Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard. Big, scruffy, with overalls on. But Jim also had scraggly hair and ran sound like a mutha. Turns out this version of Jim just got sick of the previous version of Jim. Throw in a hip replacement and diabetes and understand why he decided to change his lifestyle. He looked like he could be working at the Men's Wearhouse.

But, I digress.

Chris and Sean showed up a bit later and we all got set up. Of all the emails I sent out, 4 people showed up. The bros had some luck with their friends. Overall, there were about 20-25 people I counted while playing. Not bad, I suppose, but I would've liked more.

I think I played ok. Maybe a 6-7 out of 10. Chris was on fire. He really lit things up. He even said so himself, but I could really tell during the set.

One thing I need to remember is that even though I sound loud through the vocal monitors during sound check, they need to be even louder during the set. Note to self: tell soundguy to turn it up!

Afterwards, we got all sorts of kudos yet again. I got a video copy of the show, and, like an idiot, left it at work. Even though I didn't feel so hot about my performance, based on what everyone said (which may have been BS; who knows?), it should've been a good show. The video won't lie.

Anyway, I'll be glad when Dec. 9th rolls around. Because then I won't get smoke in my face anymore! After the show, I was sitting at a table with C & S and some friends. Some of the friends were smoking and the draft seemed to blow their smoke (though they were considerate and did the blow-the-smoke-to-the-ceiling method) right into my face. Ugh. Hate that shit.

Our next show is back at the EMP. It's just us and one other band. On a Friday night. Should be a good time.

Seacrest... OUT!