Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Seiko SNN079P2: It's a Watch!

 
My latest addition to the rotation. It's made by Seiko, it's quartz, it's not as big as I thought it would be, and it's my favorite watch.
 
I have another Seiko chronograph and since last summer, that was my favorite watch. Take a look:
 
 
I love this Seiko SDNA65 and it was my most worn watch over the past 6 months or so. I love the black PVD style, the orange second hand at 9 o'clock and the large chrono second hand. I love how when I reset the chrono, all the dials spin (especially the 1/20th second hand at 12 o'clock). It looks sweet on any of my NATO straps and the lume is outstanding.
 
Even so, I wore the watch once every few days, as I rotate my watches daily. I always got a kick out of being in a bright space our outdoors, then walking into a dark area and seeing that face just pop. Super cool.
 
After getting SDNA65, I got a few more watches and they all became part of the rotation. At Christmas, I got a digital watch that seemed to have a faulty countdown timer. I mean, if you're not going to beep as the time runs out, what's the point? Back to Amazon it went and the credit sat in my account.
 
I went on the hunt at Amazon with a criteria of a chronograph watch between $50 to $100. I wanted to pay as little out of pocket as possible. I ended up adding about 50 watches to a wish list, ranging from Casio to Timex to Android to Seiko and others.
 
I ended up seeing the SNN079P2 and it was at the top of my list for a bit, but just in case I saw something I liked even more, I kept on looking for a bit.
 
There were a few Seikos that eclipsed the $100 mark, but I decided that was more than I wanted to spend, especially when there was such a good looking watch below that. Plus, with some extra Chinese New Year cash, I was able to get the SNN079P2. I ended up paying only .12 cents out of pocket for this watch.



 
I ordered the watch on a Friday and I received it the following Tuesday. Out of the box it came and immediately I was struck by how not big it was. It wasn't necessarily small, but for whatever reason, the pictures at Amazon seem to make it look quite big. But that's OK. I'm not a big dude and I don't need a giant watch on my wrist.
 
It came on a plain two-piece black strap. Nothing to write home about, and it didn't float my boat. Lucky for me I still had a few dollars left and, since I work at a mall, I stopped by my local Fossil store and picked up a nice leather NATO strap. This watch is 20mm at the lugs; most of my NATOs are 22mm, so that's sort of a bummer, but on the flip side, new straps!
 
So this little watch has the beautiful orange hands, plus the word TACHYMETER in orange. It has that super cool date window at 9 o'clock, with 3 numbers visible. And it has a super unique coin bezel, which I wasn't too sure about at first, but now I really dig it. Pair it up with the gray/olive green NATO and it is a sharp looking unit.