Monday, October 10, 2005

Oh my

# 1. Fly By Night, Church Sessions Video 1975
# 2. Circumstances, Live in Studio 1978
# 3. La Villa Strangiato, Live in Studio 1978
# 4. Farewell to Kings, Live in Studio 1978
# 5. Xanadu, Live in Studio 1978
# 6. Various songs - soundcheck at Ivor Wynne Stadium 1980
# 7. Closer to the Heart, Compilation Video 1977-1977
# 8. Freewill, Performed at the Toronto Rocks/Stones Concert

Anyone know what that is? I'm sure the freaks at the Counterparts message board are filling their pants with glee...

I was just at the Power Windows Rush News site and saw that little tidbit regarding another DVD release by my favorite band, Rush. A double DVD, chronicling their recent R30 tour, which made a stop in Frankfurt, Germany.

The concert DVD is nothing I haven't seen before. I have a bootleg from Radio City Music Hall. I saw them at the White River last summer. Two summers ago, I saw them on the Vapor Trails tour at the Gorge. And, of course, I have the Rush in Rio DVDs, which are of the VT concert. So, the concert DVD? Meh.

But, look at that track listing for DVD #2.

HOLY SHIT!

Let's break it down.

#1. FBN, Church Sessions Video. Church sessions video? Is it an "in the studio" video? Or a performance video? On the RiR DVD, there's an easter egg of the boys playing to a recording of something (it slips my mind at the moment), but I think it's from FBN. And it's COMPLETELY LAME! Shot in the early '70s, before music videos became what they are today, most of the video is a close-up of Geddy's face. Not his hands (which would be more interesting), but his mug. Hmm. Not sure if this video is the same as that, but it may be from the same session.

#2. Circumstances, Live in Studio. Did you hear that sound? That's me changing my shorts. Yes, I shot my load, and we're only 2 tracks in. LIVE IN STUDIO, ladies and gentlemen. The closest I've ever gotten to seeing the Holy Trinity in studio is from the Chronicles DVD where they have the Limelight and Tom Sawyer videos. Here's hoping the Circumstances vid is more documentary style than flashy and clever. This video, my friends, is worth the admission price of the entire DVD set.

#3. La Villa Strangiato, Live in Studio. Did you hear that sound? That's prog rock geeks all around the world changing their shorts. Yes, we shot our loads and we're only 3 tracks in. Will this video show the band nailing this song in one take (as has been stated many times?). Holy cow. I scanned the track list and completely did not register this one. Now, the question is, do I ask for it for Xmas or do I buy it myself in late Nov and get my ass kicked by the wife?

#4. Farewell to Kings, Live in Studio. Again, very cool, but not as epic as the previous two tracks. These late '70s videos should be ultra-vintage, though, with Alex's big ass Gibson hollowbodies (ES65? Jerry?) and Geddy's Rics. Nice...

#5. Xanadu, Live in Studio. SWEET! I'm thinking that this DVD is the band's way of saying thanks to the fans. Fans have been clamoring for some "inside" kind of video/DVD, and I think these are them. The Rio documentary was kind of cool, but these will blow that out of the water.

#6. Various songs-soundcheck. Should be interesting. I have a boot of the boys doing a full concert, rehearsal style, of R30, where it's just them, no crowd. Geddy sings some songs in their entirety, and doesn't sing on others. A very cool boot, which makes me think this video will be cool too, as it's the guys just playing and not performing.

#7. Closer to the Heart compilation. Boring. Though, seeing the guys through the years should be a hoot.

#8. Freewill at the SARS benefit. Boring. I saw this and wasn't too impressed, thought it was on low quality internet feed. Seeing 100000 people in a crowd for the gig sould be cool though.

So now I have a new addition to my Xmas list. For those keeping score, it goes like this.

1. Highly improbable, but it's on the list nonethless:




2. Highly improbable also, but what the hell, while I'm dreaming...



3. And, the Rush DVD.



I suppose I'll be adding more to this list, so keep checking back and start saving your pennies.