Sunday, November 13, 2005

Saturday at the Jet Deck, put up your dukes!

I'd booked a gig a few weeks ago with Brett from Starchief. This was at a place called the Jet Deck in Everett. I'd heard about it from a friend; she told me it was near an airport in Everett. Their website doesn't do it justice.

I drove into Paine Field and made a few turns. There was this little two story building at the end of this parking lot, surrounded by cars. Brett had told me that there would be a lot of people there; it was a friend's birthday party. I loaded in and was surprised to find that it was on the upper floor of this building, with windows all along the north wall, looking right out onto the tarmac. Had any planes been flying, it would've been quite the sight, but since it was after 9:00, the airport was closed. Bummer.

Anyway, once inside, it was evident that not only was this a cool club, but that there was going to be many many fine patrons there. Keep in mind, the birthday girl was turning mid-20's and most of her friends were around that age. Very eye friendly. :)

Brett's bassist, co-singer and drummer were all there by 9:00, but Brett himself was nowhere to be found. He finally called about 9:15 or so and said he was on the way and to hang tight. Turns out, he went down to take a nap at 3:00 and ended up waking up at 9:00. Then again, he has 2 little kids (he's a stay at home dad during the day, a waiter at night) and is pretty burned out a lot of the time. He finally showed up and they went on about 10.

Overall, for Starchief, it was pretty rough. They had their moments, but, the fact that they'd only rehearsed once in a month (confirmed by B$ himself) showed. Their co-singer (she sings backs and plays tambourine) is new to singing in a live setting and it shows. I've seen them 4 times now and only once has she really been in the game. She doesn't seem to know how to use her monitors to gauge her pitch.

When they finished, we were up. The stage was tucked into a corner of the club and had not only a PA, but also a bank of lights stage left (right where I'd be standing). I wasn't too keen of having the heat of the lights on me all night, so I asked Sean to move his drums over a bit so I could have some room. Because of that, he had to scoot his vocal monitor over also. Chris had his Orange amp there and didn't want to move it over. Some arguing ensued and then the monitor speaker got shoved into Sean's foot. He then shoved Chris.

I was over by my gear, seeing this, thinking they were goofing around, especially when Chris started bouncing on the balls of his feet, dukes up like Ali. I scrambled over there and ended up straddling Sean's kick drum, between the bros. I was thinking they'd stop messing around when I was there, but they didn't. I had my arms spread, one hand on Chris, one on Sean. They were fired up. The club owner came over with a bouncer, thinking it was a bar patron screwing around. When I explained that we were the band and the combatants were actually brothers, well, they had a good laugh. People couldn't believe it.

Chris and Sean finally calmed down and we were able to get down to business. Chris introduced us as Oasis and off we went. We ended up playing pretty well, all things considered. I was able to play without too much trouble with the lights. I got hot, but not any more than usual. It was a great time. Lots of ladies dancing, lots of applause after songs, lots of compliments after the show. And, to top it off, we made $200 for our troubles. Pretty nice night for us.

Next week, the Fightin' Lund Bros. take on Olympia. I can't wait.