Friday, October 19, 2007

The Next Great American Band

Sometime last year when I got roped into the WHOLE SEASON of American Idol, I remember seeing a commercial for their next show, The Next Great American Band. What made it unique was that it was open to all bands, any age, any genre. All they wanted was a DVD of a performance, live, studio or otherwise, and then it was up to them to decide.

I gave it a little thought, then figured that my bandmates wouldn't be too interested in something like that.

I'm watching the show tonight and, I must say, I regret not at least sending a DVD in.

I'm about 1.5 hours in and there are good bands (Light of Doom, a quintet of 12 and 13 year olds; the Muggs, with a half paralyzed bass player on keyboard bass) and even great ones (Franklin Bridge, a cool ass funk/r&b/rock band; Sixwire, a super tight country/rock band), but, dare I say, no band really doing what Lund Bros. does.

Say we got picked. Say we had to go to Nevada to play in the audition process. Say we got voted down by the judges. At the end of the day, it's exposure, baby, and we got some.

As it is, right now? We got none, sadly.

Anyway, I just finished watching the show. If we got on, would the judges put us through? Hard to say. Of the bands I saw, the closest to the "old-school" rock we do would be the Muggs. They had the riffs and rawness that reminded me a lot of what we do.

I suppose I'll have to put a DVD in the mail for next year...