Thursday, August 07, 2008

Curse of the Cell Phone

I've been watching a show on On Demand called Mad Men. I'm sure many have heard of it. It's based in a New York advertising agency and takes place in the early '60s and it's been pretty fascinating. For all intents and purposes, it's a soap opera, but the time period makes it really fun to watch.

In one of this season's shows (it's in its second season), the main character's wife, Betty, is driving her car to pick up her daughter when it breaks down, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. She gets out and flags down the next car. It's determined the passengers of that car know nothing about cars, so she asks them to have Esso (a nearby gas station) send a tow truck. She then sits back and waits. In the dark. All alone.

What would happen these days? You break out your cell phone, make a call and off you go.

Unless you're in a dead spot, that is.

Marci and the kids left again yesterday for a short road trip. They headed down to Mt. St. Helens or thereabouts to go camping with a friend and her two kids. Apparently they were staying in what's called a yurt, which is not as bad as sleeping-bag-on-dirt, but not as advanced as a log cabin. I think it's basically an enclosed shelter.

Anyway, I'm assuming they made it there fine. I'm assuming they're having a super fun time going on nature hikes, eating granola and looking for bears. I assume they're not stuck in a ditch somewhere, hoping some passerbys hear their cries for help.

You see, they haven't called me and I haven't been able to reach them.

At this point in time, there's no reason to panic. Back in the day, I wouldn't have heard from them until they got back home. Until I see a Breaking News story about something horrible, there's nothing to worry about, right?

I have a fertile imagination. I'll keep you posted.