Monday, November 03, 2008

What a day

I got into work today and a guy who was on a 1.5 week vacation came up to me with a letter. This just 2 days after another guy came up to me with a letter. That guy quit. And guess what? So did this guy.

Super!

After Friday, I wasn't feeling too bad. This guy that quit had been with us for 17 years and, frankly, it was time for him to go. He was supposed to sell for us, but wasn't doing much of that. Not much of a team player also, so, he kind of did us a favor by stepping down. I figured the other two guys would be happy about the increased workload and was all ready to talk about it this morning when I got blindsided.

Though blindsided may be to strong a word. I thought Guy #2 might have something up his sleeve. I just didn't trust the guy but he was a strong producer for me. When he told me he wanted to take 1.5 weeks off, I figured he might be shopping around.

After he gave me the letter, before opening it, I asked if he was walking too. He confirmed it, then I read his letter. I was a little stunned, to say the least. Not so much that he was walking but because of the lousy timing of the whole thing. Both these guys knew that Riley was having surgery this week. But instead of doing something decent and giving me two weeks notice, both guys wanted their resignations effective immediately.

Now if there were no surgery happening, I'd have been better with it. The trouble now isn't a question of doing the work. We can do the work. It's a manpower issue. With me in and out, I have essentially 2 people in the office. That makes things tricky. But, we can make it happen. I'm sure of it. It'll be a little rough at first, but once Rye gets home and I can spend more time away from home, we'll be in good shape.

So, after that debacle, I had to go to Children's Hospital with Marci and Riley (and Judy?!?) to meet with the doctors and get Rye a CT scan. Long story short is that Riley has a nice thick skull, all the better for screws to bite into to hold him still. And the doctor told us what he plans on doing. Unfortunately it involves Riley and his skull and a little part of his brain.

After that, I had to go back to work and do some damage control for the remaining troops. I realized in all the drama, I never told the guys that I had no plans to shut down and that we'd be soldiering on. So I did, and that seemed to make them feel a little better.

At home tonight, Mom came over for a Riley's special dinner. When I got home, Marci pulled me aside and said Mom was crying. I guess she was having a sad day for some reason. Haley was sobbing too so I grabbed her and then we had a little sob fest; I was a little emotional as well, thanks to the day's events, as well as Riley's thing and even a little missing of Dad in there. I kind of felt like I needed a good cry. Even though I didn't get one, it was nice to let my guard down a little.

I'm feeling like I kinda need to hold it together for everyone. Marci has a big task ahead of her. Though Riley is our son, she is his advocate and will be his voice at the hospital. She's had a lot of stress lately and her body is starting to feel the effects of it. Anything I can do to help her is good, and it starts with holding it together.

But it's tough.

*pity party alert*

After the last 2 months I've had, well, I hope you understand.

*pity party over*

So, it's on like Donkey Kong tomorrow. I'll be posting here and at Riley's blog off and on. If you're the praying type, say a prayer for us. If you'd rather be voting, well, vote wisely. Me? I'll be hanging out at Children's Hospital, keeping an eye on my family.