Wednesday, September 09, 2009

One year later

Last year, I wrote this: link

This year, we're better, or as better as we can be. A year ago, I was pretty sure Dad was going to die. I just wasn't sure it was going to be so dang soon.

As some of you know, this has been a rough 364 days. I'll spare you the pity party, but suffice it to say, it's been the most difficult of my life. Having said all that, though, it's weird. I don't feel all that bad.

Sure, it'd be nice to be employed and out of debt. It'd be nice to have Dad around and stuff like that, but, truth be told, with all the drama in the past year, life isn't too bad. Let's be thankful for the following, in no particular order:
  • A loving, caring, compassionate, patient, wise, sweet wife. I do wonder sometimes how I roped her in and kept her here. I still have a LOT of work to do to be the man I want to be for her, but I'm trying every day.
  • Kids that try my patience every day, but also show me every day why I love being their dad.
  • A roof over our heads.
  • Supportive family and friends.
  • A dog that loves the heck out of us.
  • Good health.
I could go on and on, but those are the important things. I do hear about other people's problems and issues, and I realize things could be so much worse.

Anyway, that's enough of that. We're going to go see Dad tomorrow and see what's up.