Saturday, March 06, 2010

Camera woes

We took Bella out for a romp at the dog park in downtown Renton today and I had my camera and new lens in tow. I was all excited to shoot and see how things would turn out.

A few shots in, the shutter closed and did not open again. I saw "ERR 99" on the screen. Flipping the switch didn't do anything so I removed the battery, which usually resets everything. Well, after doing that, the screen stayed dark and I had no power or anything.

Weird.

I thought it might have been the battery and, since I didn't have my spare, I was out of luck.

Once I got home, I did some research and found that "ERR 99" is kind of a general error, meaning anything from a bad connection between lens and camera to a faulty memory card and anything in between. Using my masterful deduction skills, I deducted that my problem was due to my CF card being weird. It's said that instead of simply deleting photos off the card when you don't need them, you should use the camera to format it from time to time. I don't know if that was the issue, but after pulling off a few sorry pictures (my P365 will be lackluster yet again), I formatted that sucker in the camera. So far so good.

Last thing I need is for my camera to fail me. I love this old thing and would be bummed if it took a nosedive.

Here's a picture from a day without technical difficulties.