Thursday, June 16, 2016

Ethyl at the Central, 10/1/2001 (video)


This video is from 2001, the first time Ethyl played the Central in Pioneer Square. I don't recall how long we'd been rehearsing by now, likely just a few months. Even so early in our time together, we were pretty tight.

Both Johnny and Rob are not playing music in bands now. Well, Rob plays at church, I think, but in chatting with Johnny last night, he's been unable to find a band to work with in Roseville, CA. Which is a crying shame. The guy is a natural; looks great, sounds great, charismatic, funny, and people eat him up.

Since I've been doing the co-front man thing with the Navins, I've really wanted to up my between song banter. Usually I try not to say anything. However, sometimes, you just need to say something to break up the awkward silences during guitar tuning sessions, etc. At our last show, I said some things and I didn't hate them all. When I watch Johnny, he's clever and effortless and almost always cool. I feel like I'm trying too hard.

Practice makes perfect, right?

Get ready for more videos. Most of them will be from Ethyl. If you want to see more, you can look on my youtube page here: LINK.