Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Hunt

All this bass talk recently, especially regarding my bass genealogy has gotten me looking around for my old Sterling.

According to this post, I traded it away in August 2008. I was happy with the Lakland I traded for, but in the years I've had that bass, it's been firmly entrenched as a #2. I play it at home, but I rarely gig with it. I'm just that in love with the SB-2.

However, I do think of the Sterling from time to time. I remember the guy I traded it to (Mr. Matt on talkbass.com) had it for a bit, and then he moved it on to someone else. Thanks to the talkbass.com website, sales on the board are tracked and rated much like ebay transactions. Some sleuthing and note taking show the bass went from: 

Me: 1995 to 2008
Mr. Matt (Bothell area): August 2008 to March 2009
willsellout (Astoria, OR): March 2009 to August 2009
RD (Seattle!): August 2009 to October 2009 (2 months!)
Basspro (Las Vegas): October 2009 to November 2009 (One month!)
Spufman (CT): November 2009 to April 2013
liverbird (overseas!): April 2013 to ???

And that's where the trail goes cold. I did send a message to liverbird (I'm thinking UK with a handle like that) to see if he still had it or if he knew where it went. Might be sort of creepy, but I really don't care. Marci told me once if I could get it back, I could get it back. But I gotta find where it is first.

All the guys that have had it sing the praises of it. The bass got a little of a reputation on TB as a beautiful bass, with a neck that has bird's eye maple on it the likes of which none of them had ever seen. So much love for that thing. And now I'm wanting to bring it home.