Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Sunny day in SoCal

Today we packed into Judy's (our host in CA) Yukon (a nice ride, btw), and headed back to the airport to pick up our rental. We stuffed everything in and ran some errands, one of which was finding myself a pair of sunglasses. Apparently I left my sunglasses on the plane last night. I couldn't find any I liked (I guess I'm a sunglasses snob) and figured for the amount of $$ I paid for them, I should at least call the airline and see if they found 'em. Rats.

Anyway, in the afternoon we headed to the Old Man, a beach a little south of San Clemente down I-5, or as they say down here, the I-5. Why's it called the Old Man? Apparently because the waves are so nice and steady, that anyone from the young to old can and will surf there.

We met my brother-in-law, sister-in-law and their brood, plus a friend, there and wiggled our toes in the sand. It's kind of nice to be able to walk around on a beach barefoot and not have to worry about large, rough pebbles or stinky-ass goose poop. Nope. Just soft, white sand.

We ended up watching Todd (b-i-l) and Alison (s-i-l) surf a bit. Not necessarily something I'd ever want to do (me and oceans don't mix), but very fun to watch. We had some sub sandwiches on the beach and topped the afternoon off with s'mores! Sadly, being raised Chinese, s'mores are something I never really did as a kid. Luckily, though, it wasn't too tough to do.

So tomorrow's the IPO gig. It's been a long time coming. When the Lunds first got in touch with me, the IPO was one of the first things they mentioned. We ended up basing our trip to CA around the gig. I have some people coming to the show, which should make it fun. It'll be Judy and Alison, my friend Aaron and some of his friends from LA, I think, as well as some of Johnny Low's acquaintances. Not sure what kind of turn out there will be otherwise, but at least my people will represent. I'll be sure to put up a recap tomorrow or Friday.

Peace out.