Friday, August 12, 2005

War of the Freakin' Worlds

I decided to go to the movies tonight. Since Marci, Riley and Haley are out of town for a few more nights, I thought I'd go paint the town red. Got myself a pizza and a movie. Did you know it's $9-freakin'-.25 to see a movie in this town? Sheesh.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Here are some thoughts I had about this movie. There are some spoilers, so read with caution...

Pros (in no particular order):

-EFX! Loved em. The *poof* of the people was great.
-When Ray first gets the van onto the highway and that long sweeping camera shot. From one side to the other, weaving through traffic. The continuity blew my mind. It was kind of like the first shot of him in the crane. A long, helicopter type shot, then circle around, then, wham! Right up on him. Amazing.
-When Ray exits the basement and sees the red devastation.
-the "I have to go to the bathroom" scene. Loved Robby's reaction to the armed forces/conversation with Ray.
-The ferry scene. Insane. What was real and what was CGI?
-And more.

Cons (in no particular order):

-The end. I actually wasn't expecting the end when it ended. I thought it would continue. Silly me.
-The fact that I couldn't hear what Ray said about the birds at the end. I initially thought it was sunlight that killed the baddies.
-Not much else.

I really liked it. Hell, I almost cried when Ray let Robby go to battle. I must be emotional cause my wife and kids are out of town and I miss 'em dearly.

In other news, I watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle the other night. Dumb at times, but it was my kind of dumb. I haven't laughed like that in a long time. Highly recommended.

My band is playing a gig on Monday. I sent about 180 emails out yesterday, all with the note that if they wanted off the list, to tell me. So far, so good. No removals yet. I hate doing that kind of stuff. I figure the last thing people want is more junk mail. Hopefully, though, they at least take a listen to our music before hitting the delete key.

Boy, being a bachelor ain't what it used to be. Sitting around, watching TV, putting off chores and surfin' the net isn't as exciting as I remember. Give me a wife and 2 kids anytime.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Uh, nevermind the double-chin...