Monday, May 12, 2008

Last night at the Rendezvous

In a few words, it was a Love In.

In a lot more words, well, keep reading.

I showed up at 8:30 or so, about 20 minutes after I actually arrived. Thanks Horrible Belltown Parking! No big deal, though, as the only people there were other band members. All of the Sportsmen were there. Nick and Heather Riffbroker, too. Sean showed up a little later, and, of course, as the night went on, a lot more people did as well.

For those that don't know, the Rendezvous is a little club in Belltown. It's set up in an interesting fashion. When you walk in the main entrance, there's the bar to the right. Straight ahead is a seating area and kitchen. In between the bar and the seating area, again, to the right, is a foyer of sorts, where people pay to get in the theater, which is adjacent to the foyer. You open a door (Step Up!) and there's the Jewelbox Theater. It's a room shaped like a shoebox, with a tiny stage on one end. Apparently in the 20s or something, they used to show movies there. For many years after that, it apparently was a less than savory place. These days, it's not so bad. If you get a bunch of friends in the room, it's a lot of fun.

So that's the main part of the Rendezvous. However, there is also an upstairs, where you can rent it out for a hipster-style party (it is in Belltown, after all!), and there is a downstairs, called the Grotto, where, apparently, you can also rent out for a CD release party, as was done last night.

The Young Sportsmen were kind enough to ask us to play their CD release party. They also asked the Riffbrokers, the Doll Test, the I Love Myselfs, the Small Change and Rusty Willoughby to play. 7 bands, one low price.

Anyway it was a big ol' love in. It was great! The Grotto felt a little like a Mexican restaurant, only minus the food and decorations. They had a little riser on one side of the room and people stood/sat on the other side.

Rusty was supposed to kick of the festivities with a few songs, but he was a no-show, so Doll Test took the stage. They did four songs, and the song that stuck out to me that they also played in March at the Skylark was a song about Scott's "future self". Don't know the exact title, but that was my favorite song of the entire night.

The I Love Myselfs took the stage next, and they added Ryan from the YS as a rhythm guitarist. We had the pleasure of playing with them and the DT in March and they were great again. Eric is totally fun to watch as a frontman. In his sport coat. So smooth.

We played next and it went a lot better than our last gig at the Swiss. We did Are You Ready, Get Up, I Don't Believe In You and Misery. I played through an Ampeg and was all ready to go with my new black bass, but when I disengaged my tuner, I got nothing. I unplugged everything and was finally saved by Ryan, who said there was a mute button on the amp. Doh! In the interest of time, I simply plugged the bass in and went dry (sans effects). It went as well as it could have, but I sure would've loved the fullness of my pedals on my sound. Oy!

The Riffbrokers, the Small Change, and of course, the YS closed out the night. All three bands played just great tunes. Greg practically tore off his pinky getting crazy with his Tele. The YS played a Metallica song (Whiplash. Quite impressive). Those guys are so tight it's clinical! Members from other bands were getting on stage, singing, playing percussion, generally just having a fabulous time. (Note to self: learn some of the other bands' songs. Sing backup with them, even if it's not necessary!)

One day I may make a family tree of the Unsmashable bands. Let's see. Off the top of my head, Ryan played with every band except Doll Test and us. Nick Riffbroker played in Doll Test, the Riffbrokers and the Small Change. Eric O. played with his band, the ILMs and played bass in Doll Test. Jason played bass in the Riffbrokers and drums for ILMs. Heather played bass in ILMs and Riffbrokers. Scott 5 played with DT and the Small Change. I think. I'm starting to lose track.

Anyway, we are not one of the Unsmashables, but we are, kind of unofficially. We're like the black sheep. Our tunes are heavier and we don't have the indie pop background, but they love us and we love them.

I got a chance to hear Chris' tunes that he wants to put on the upcoming CD and I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked. They're rockin' and they'll be a lot of fun to play live. Now if he'd only get me a copy of that disk!

Next up: the Sunset with the Sportsmen and Thee Sgt. Major III.