Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I need a haircut

It wasn't until my senior year in high school that I actually went out of the house to get a haircut. Up until then, it was all Mom, all the time. I guess she didn't do too bad a job, but then, what did I know? Maybe that's why the girls wouldn't give me the time of day...

After that haircut (short on the sides, left long in the front and back. Can anyone say Mullet?), I continued with the "pros" and stopped going to Mom for haircuts.

In the early '90s, I don't remember exactly how I had them cut my hair, or how long I kept my bad ass mullet. In the summer of '93 (I think. Maybe '94), when working at the Y, me and a friend decided on a whim to shave our heads. Bare ass bald. To the skin. So we rounded up the kids (we were camp counselors at the time) and went to work. Off came the hair. I remember how different it felt to have no hair. I went around the house, putting things on my head just to feel how it felt. Pillows. Cats. Tortillas. Showers were a revelation. All that water running down my scalp was fantastic. Yow.

As my hair started growing back, the question was, do I keep it bald or grow it out? I opted for the latter and began growing it, though not to the mullet lengths it was before. Now, I kept it short. As in clipped with a #1 short. As in I looked like I was a military reject short. As in, what was I thinking? Plus, being Chinese, I, of course, have black hair. Couple that with a scalp that doesn't see sun (being covered in hair), and you get a big ugly contrast. Especially right after getting buzzed. I guess I didn't know any better.

As the years passed, I'd go get a haircut almost once every three weeks. I just couldn't stand having long hair. Touching my ears? Forget. Buzz that junk off. I used to just put some gel in it, slick it down and to the side, and be done with it. What a dork!

Last January, I decided to start growing the hair out. I got tired of having this tiny short haircut that, in pictures, made me look like a big moon face. So, for over the past 14 months, I've had maybe 3 or 4 haircuts. Basically to tame the wild beast on my head. Now, I'm growing wings on the sides of my head as my hair goes crazy. I'm thinking of getting a trim today, or soon, to clean things up a bit. It's just not falling the right way. I see these Hair Superstars with just killer hair. Falls the right way, always looks great. Me? It's a 50/50 proposition. Sometimes I dig it, most times, I just deal with it.

Luckily, I don't drink so I won't end up like the guy below.