Thursday, June 16, 2005

Hatemail! Yay! You really love me!

A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog about certain ads in the Stranger. At the time I wrote it, to be quite honest, I didn't think anyone would see it besides the 2 or 3 of you that read it. Little did I know that people will Google their own names (and band names for that matter) and see what comes up.

Well, having been guilty of Googling myself and my bands' names, I have found stuff about me, mainly created by me, and seen by not very many people other than me. Turns out, someone didn't like what I said about his ad. Let's recap. Here's the ad:
Bassist for the band HorseHedd seeks new venture to take music careerfurther. Played a few hundred shows and know the circuit well. Influences uncludeKyuss, Deftones, Tool, Chevelle, etc. Have pro gear and transpo. Can practice anynight and available for tour. Lets jam.
And this is what I wrote:
Now, I think most bassists are intelligent, but, to me, anyone in a band named HorseHedd, let alone played a few hundred shows with a band called HorseHedd, probably ain't all there.
I guess I was in a funny mood at the time and decided to pick on Mr. HorseHedd. In hindsight, maybe I should've not named the band. But that's what stuck out to me. So, in goes the band name.

Well, today I received a response from said bassist. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy. Here's what he wrote:
To respond to your opinion about my ad in the stranger, I thought it was to the point. I had a lot of reponses and was treated very professionally. For the comment on my bands name "HorseHedd", I'm sure your parents could buy you a good name you spoiled little east side bitch. I could play bass circles around your pathetic, tiny musical existence. What type of name is Gwon, anyways? Sounds like something I cough up in the morning after a night of heavy smoking. I normally dont respond so harshly to what is a "right to opinion", but I just wanted to let you know to be careful what you say. You never know who could beat the living shit out of you when you are leaving your parents country club after playing a couple shitty cover tunes since you obviously have no creativity of your own. -Tommy One-Time
When I got the email, I gotta say, I was a bit nervous. It's not my thing to be mean, and, looking back, I was mean. I called the guy unintelligent and I guess Tommy One-Time took offense. So, for offending, I was sorry for a second. So, TOT, if you're reading this: I'm sorry. See you 'round.














/looks for TOT. Is he still here? No? Good. Let's make some comments.
To respond to your opinion about my ad in the stranger, I thought it was to the point.
Agreed. It was my opinion, and you were concise and to the point.
I had a lot of reponses and was treated very professionally.
This was the sentence that made me feel remorseful about what I did. I see myself as a professional person, or at least mature (though my regular reader(s) may disagree). I realized I wasn't professional.

Boo-frickin'-hoo.
For the comment on my bands name "HorseHedd", I'm sure your parents could buy you a good name you spoiled little east side bitch.
To quote my childhood hero, Indiana Jones, "Now you're gettin' nasty". And, as a matter of fact, they could probably buy me a good name, but instead chucked a set of silverware down the front steps and came up with Gwon. The thing is, they had just moved here from overseas and didn't know any better. Tommy, you and your bandmates probably knew better, don't you think?? Poetic, huh?
I could play bass circles around your pathetic, tiny musical existence.
Well, I'm not one for tooting my own horn, so I'll let the music speak for itself.

HorseHedd
Starchief. I wasn't with Lund Bros. yet and haven't recorded with them, but all the Starchief songs feature Yours Truly on bass.
What type of name is Gwon, anyways?
See above. It's my god/parent-given name. Though, if I had a Cool Rock Star Name like Tommy No-Tone, or Tommy Tommorow or Tommy One-Time, I'd be cool like dat. /strokes chin...

Here's my hobbit name: Posco Frumblefoot of Bywater
Elvish name: Tathar Minyatur
Smurf name: Very Uninteresting Smurf
And, finally, Rock Star name: Garth Flynn

Excellent!
Sounds like something I cough up in the morning after a night of heavy smoking.
Gwon/Phlegm. Or, maybe, Gwon/Lung. I'm sure, after a Rockin' Night of Heavy Smoking, you may cough a lung up. Smoking is cool!!!
I normally dont respond so harshly to what is a "right to opinion", but I just wanted to let you know to be careful what you say.
/looks over shoulder. Whew. The coast is clear. But I better be careful, nonetheless.
You never know who could beat the living shit out of you when you are leaving your parents country club after playing a couple shitty cover tunes since you obviously have no creativity of your own. -Tommy One-Time
TOT, I'd like to warn you that I am a 0 degree black belt in no martial art. If you confront me, I may run away from you very quickly (I hate confrontations!). I may run away into the warm, comforting arms of my loving parents (who sadly do not belong to a country club, much to my chagrin). However, you have Thrown Down The Gauntlet in saying I play cover tunes.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Have I played cover songs? Sure, who hasn't? By the sounds of your band and style, TOT, you probably grew up playing to the likes of Judas Priest and Def Leppard, yes? 8th note roots RULEZ! But, I digress. The band I'm in now (Lund Bros.) played a gig on Saturday. We played 90 minutes. 25 songs! (and, yes, one cover, if you must know) How many songs do you play on a Wednesday night? 8? 9?

TOT, it's been a pleasure conversing with you. I hope we can continue this dialog soon.

Your friend in cyberspace,

Garth Flynn