Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More on Boston


Killing time tonight, reading some of the nice articles around the web about the passing of Brad Delp. I am a big fan of Boston and have been since high school, when, even then in the late '80s, Boston was considered "classic" rock. Don't recall how I got into them; maybe it was hearing stuff off their "new" record, Third Stage. But I do recall how much I just enjoyed the music. Heck, in one of my art classes, I even reproduced the yellow Boston logo for a project.

At the time I first started listening to Boston, I'd only been playing bass a few years and hearing how intricate, organic and tasty the bass playing was on Boston and Don't Look Back really inspired me. In fact, until last year, I thought the bassist for Boston was a stud named Fran Sheehan. Turns out, the bass playing (and almost all the other instruments, save drums) was done by Boston brain-child, Tom Scholz.

But I digress.

In reading some fan posts about Brad's passing, I've found myself pretty moved by the whole thing. I mean, I've listened to Boston going on 20 years now, and fairly frequently over those last 20 years. Lots of people lament that Boston's always on classic rock radio, or Jack FM, or whatever the greatest hits stations play, but me? No way. I could listen to even Boston's greatest hit over and over again. And with Brad's layered vocals and the sweetness of his voice? Forget it. Nothing but man love for that from me.

I did have the good fortune to see Boston with Marci at the Gorge about 10 years ago? Maybe it was longer than that. But what was cool about that show was that it was the original Boston line up, including Brad on lead vocals. I guess there was a time when they had some fill ins for Brad, but at the Gorge, it was original Boston.

So, right now, I'm just finishing up listening to Boston on the computer, headphones and all. Need I even say how fucking GREAT this record is? Unbelievable. And to think these guys were all in their mid-20s when they put this out? What I would give to have played music like this 10 years ago. Heck, as much as I love the band I'm in now, it cannot hold a candle to the brilliance of Boston.

Anyway, it seems that Brad was one of those guys we all wish we could be: humble, nice, universally loved, and a killer singer. Ok, maybe not a killer singer, but just a guy that made things better by just being himself. If we could all be so lucky.

Do yourself a favor. Put on some Boston and enjoy the legacy that Brad has left behind. He will be missed.