Monday, March 12, 2007

SWEEEEEEET!!!!! New Rush, Bitches!!!!


New Rush!

Rush's new single, Far Cry, was released to the internet today. Here's my .02.

Likes:
  • Many hits and punches!
  • Tasty riff!
  • Even at 192kbps, sounds like a good mix!
  • Neil Peart! And his Signature Ride Cymbal Pattern!
  • Great guitar tones!
  • Odd time signatures!
  • Lots of layers, especially in Alex's playing!
  • Hemispheres Chord!!
Dislikes:
  • Geddy's flamenco bass playing. Never been a big fan of that. He started it on the Counterparts CD, though, if you watch the Limelight video from '81, you can see him doing it there.
  • Geddy's "smooth" voice. In most of the Rush releases since, say the mid '80s, Geddy sings and no longer goes balls out. I understand his voice has mellowed with time, but sometimes I just wish he'd go for it.
  • Harmony vocals and vocal layers. Is it me or does Rush just do weird vocal harmonies?
  • No guitar solo. I got tired of Vapor Trails and its lack of soloing. So far, with Far Cry, there is no solo. I'm guessing there will be on the other tracks.
  • Length of tune. Can there be a thing as too much Rush? Sometimes. Again, see Vapor Trails, a record they produced themselves. In other words, each song on VT was about 2 verses too long as the boys couldn't find a good place to end them. Having a producer for this new record should help the tunes tremendously.
Overall? I think I really like this song Far Cry. It's strong, has attitude and some bad, bad playing by my favorite Canadians. If the rest of Snakes & Arrows can be as strong as this lead track, we could be in for the best Rush record since Counterparts!

May 1 can't come soon enough!