Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Last night at the Sunset

Another day, another gig. This time it was at Ballard's Sunset Tavern, to participate in the International Pop Overthrow for the 3rd year in a row. The first time we did it was in Hollywood, which made it cool. Plus, it was my second time playing with the Lunds, so that was neat too. Last year it was at the Croc and that was cool because it was the first year in Seattle and we had a good slot.

This year? Well, it was cool in that it was at the Sunset, but not so cool in that it was on a FREAKIN' MONDAY NIGHT. Ugh. So what did that mean? Low turnout. Though, we aren't a huge draw in Seattle yet, put us on a Monday and no one comes out.

Surprisingly enough, there were 3 people that came on account of my emails. My old friend Aaron, and two "kids" from SPU that go to my church, Katie and Brian. Plus, good ol' Gary from the Seattle Powerpop Blog was there as well snapping pictures and representing the powerpop.

Anyway, we took the stage around 9, plugged into the available gear (it WAS cool to not have to schlepp my gear in), and rocked out for 7 songs. Short and sweet. First time in many moons that I played on the high-hat side of the drums. In fact, I think the last time may have been in the old Grasshopper days (pre-Ethyl, which means about 1996 or so). Don't know why each gig I've had since has the bass on the right of the drummer, but I guess that's how it goes.

At the end of the night, nothing earthshattering happened. I'm hoping that Katie and Brian spread the word with their SPU homies. Nothing like a bunch of enthusiastic college kids to make a party more fun. And I've come to the conclusion that next year, David Bash (the brains behind the IPO) should invite less bands to give them longer sets, as well as not schedule on Sundays and Mondays. He should make it a Thu-Sat festival, maybe reduce the shows by 2 bands a night and let bands play for 30-40 minutes instead of 20-30. My .02.

So my Weekend Of Music is officially over. What's next? Well, more new tunes for the Bros., but we aren't hooking up til 9/10. And the Scheme is on a bit of a hiatus as David is expecting a baby next week and Gregg the drummer is out of town for a month.

Not that I mind having a break. Just not too long, that's all.

Here's a picture from last night, courtesy of Gary's Awesome Blog: