Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am spoiled

A few weeks ago while my in-laws were in town, my dad called me from Houston. He went on about an over-the-air antenna he bought for his HDTV. It was quite random, but he was very excited as it only cost him $50 and now he had OTA HD. I wracked my brain to see how this applied to me as I don't have an HDTV. My 8 year old Toshiba SDTV is doing ok and I can't justify replacing it until it fails.

Anyway, I told Dad that it was nice that he got an antenna that worked for him, but I had no HDTV. He told me to go get one. I said I couldn't justify it. He said he'd pay for it.

Huh? Come again?

I just left it at that, though, as he was in Houston for a few more weeks and I felt kind of sheepish about having Dad buy me a TV. But I didn't forget about the offer, though.

Fast forward to today. They got back in town yesterday and wanted to see us today so we went to lunch after church. He brought up the TV thing and asked if I'd gotten anything yet. I said no and asked if the offer still stood. He said that it did, so we headed to Best Buy to look around.

I ended up talking to an actual helpful salesperson at BB and he answered some questions for me. I usually do some research when looking into these kind of things, but Scott at BB was really helpful and hooked us up. With some cajoling from Dad, we pulled the trigger on a 52" Samsung LNT5265F. It's pretty badass, but I won't see it until Tuesday. We've called Comcast to get the digital boxes, I have the wall mount. Now I just need to get rid of my TV down here. We have one potential taker, so we'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, it will be quite exciting to join the HDTV masses. I may never leave my home again.

Thanks Dad!