Tuesday, January 29, 2008

30 second skip for Comcast remotes

I switched to HD and to Comcast. Tivo they are not. One thing I loved about Tivo was that with the push of one button, you'd skip 30 seconds ahead. Perfect for commercials. Here is the sequence:

Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select.

You'd hear 3 bings, then you'd have the good ol' 30 second skip programmed. Good times.

With the Comcast remote, specifically for the Motorola DCT3412 box, there is no skip button. There are simply 5 levels of fast forward, which was not too precise. Also factor in that the Motorola box seemed to respond slow to the remote and you'd have many moments of aggravation. That aggravation led me to Google and by typing in "comcast 30 second skip", it took me here which allowed me to program my new Harmony 360 remote.

After a few button presses and some downloading, my Comcast box has 30 second skip back. This is a good thing. This is a very good thing.