Monday, April 09, 2007

Anger, frustration and pure misery

Ok. Sort of. Since Riley's surgery, he's really regressed a lot. He's done ok with pain and eating, but his attitude and demeanor towards dear ol' Dad leaves a bit to be desired.

He's always been a momma's boy, but this week? Sheesh. Let me give an example. He'll wake up 3-4 times a night now. Why? Maybe because of pain, who knows? But he comes to our door, opens it and, though I may be right there waiting for him, starts yelling, "Mommy!" over and over again. Now I just leave him alone as trying to help him just makes him more unhappy. The thing is by doing it that way, Marci doesn't get a chance to unwind/destress/sleep at all. She ends up sleeping in his bed for much of the night.

For now, we're giving him the benefit of the doubt. After all, he's only 2.5 years old and did have his tonsils and adenoids removed not even a week ago. But, after another week or so, if he's still like this? Well, heads will roll. I've lost my temper twice in two days now as Riley simply will not give me the time of day. He will grunt and point, instead of talking. He will ignore me and say, "Mommy" over and over again, even if I'm able to do what he needs done. It's incredibly frustrating and aggravating to have to deal with this, but that's what's going on now.

Though, today, at lunch, after I blew my lid at Rye, he and Marci talked and he came around a bit and let me read him a story before naptime. We'll see how he is later today. I get a bit of a break tonight as I have band, but in the middle of the night, we'll see what happens.