Sunday, April 01, 2007

Big day, big week coming up

To do tomorrow:

1. Take the kids to school.
1a. Marci take the tax info to the accountant.
2. Begin software switchover at work. *gulp*

To do Wednesday:

1. Continue software implementation.
2. Marci to take Riley to Children's hospital in Seattle to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. *GULP*

I'm in the process of trying to take over my family's business. We (meaning Dad) have had it since '81 and I'm at a point where I'm actually interested in being more than an employee. Plus, the fact that Dad would rather be at Muckleshoot than work helps too.

Anyway, we've been using the same software for YEARS and, not surprisingly, have been using the same hardware to run that software for YEARS. One of those days, that hardware will die. I won't be able to get parts. Or anyone to help with fixing it. Or anything positive. We'd be dead and out of jobs (or, as a super smart employee said last week, we could go back to pen and paper).

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So, when the hardware went TU, we'd be dead. Enter the new software. We signed on in January and have spent the past few months building machines, getting software installed and getting trained. This weekend I spent about 15 hours away from the family working on inventory, updating, transferring, etc, etc, etc. Are we ready?

NO WAY. Me and Ed (a new employee) spent all weekend doing the dirty work. He counted inventory while I entered it in the new system. It went as smoothly as it could have, but there are still lots of entries to be entered. The good news is that 90% of the inventory should be in the system now and the rest can be added on an "as it comes up" basis. The bad news is that one employee (our Lone Ranger) didn't lift a finger to enter any of his data. My guess is he's going to project and point the finger at everyone else, or say that he didn't do it because it wasn't that big a deal. That he could enter his info as it came up (see above). Well, he can, but it'll look pretty dumb to customers as he's fumbling away with his info and they're waiting.....

We'll see how that goes.

In other news, Rush tickets went on sale Saturday. I haven't gotten any. Will I go this year? Not sure. I saw them in '03 (?) and had a blast. Thing is, I went for free and got VIP seating from a friend. This time, I'd have to pay and sit with everyone else. Plus, unless they dust off a bunch of obscure, rarely played songs (Circumstances, anyone?), it'll probably be very similar to the last two "An Evening with Rush" shows. Maybe I'll wait to hear how the opening shows of the tour go.

Opening Day is tomorrow. Haven't been following any Mariners stuff this year. My prediction? 74-88 (that equals 162, right?).

Got an email from Sean today. Looks like he wants to go in the studio in May. Time to start practicing.

Oh. Happy April Fool's Day.