Monday, May 30, 2016

Map stalking my old houses

I was cleaning downstairs the other day and found a copy of my birth certificate. On it listed the apartment that my parents brought me home to after I was born in 1972. I don't actually remember that home, of course, but seem to remember from pictures I may have seen sometime in my life.

I sent the link to my internet-savvy mom, who confirmed that it was the place I went to first from the hospital. The place is actually for sale and is near the Ohio State University campus.








Not great pictures, but downloaded from Zillow, except for a screen capture from Google maps.

From there, we moved to an apartment about 5 minutes northeast. It appears to be across the street from the OSU School of Law.





I
t looks like these apartments are now mixed use buildings, one of which houses a Jimmy John's (or, if you're feeling fancy, a James Johnathan's). If JJ's was there when I was a baby, we may have never moved.

A few years after that, we moved to Dayton, OH, into a real house! I have very slight memories of this place. Mainly that it was across the street from an elementary school, and also that it had a wraparound driveway. The driveway was at the side of the house, and you'd have to go around to the back of the house to park.




We left this house sometime in '77 or '78. My baby brother was born in March of '77 in Dayton, but I don't recall how long we stayed before moving to Bellevue. From this house, it was to the house I lived in until I graduated from Newport. Mom still lives there now.


After HS, I stayed at the dorms at the UW, then an off campus apartment in an old house. I don't have any pictures of those places handy.

And then, in '95 or so, it was into Newport Hills, to the same house I'm posting from now.

I can't believe I've been here almost 21 years. Hay mentioned that I've moved more than she has, which is true. She's never moved!

At this point, I can't imagine us moving, anyway. We love the neighborhood and the house, too. It would be hard to move and start over. Besides, we wouldn't be able to afford it right now. So, we'll just make ourselves comfortable.